Home Rooms/Amenities Our Location Our Rates Attractions Guest Comments Hunters Welcomed

 

 

 

Historical Downtown McCook

Historical Downtown McCook

A landmark of its own, downtown McCook is lined with striking architectural designs. Each building is rich in its own history, providing an enjoyable atmosphere reminiscent of the times in which McCook experienced its booming growth.

Stroll along the historical brick streets and enjoy personal hometown service from the specialty shops that fill the downtown area. Experience traditional entertainment with annual events such as the Buffalo Commons Storytelling Festival and the Heritage Days Celebration.
 

 

Heritage Hills Golf Course

Heritage Hills Golf Course

Featuring 250 beautiful acres on the west edge of McCook that plays 18 holes to one of the hardest course and slope ratings in the state with a Par 72. Visitors agree that it is one of the most challenging tests of golf ever experienced. Heritage Hills is ranked "One of Golf Digest's Top 75 Public Golf Courses In America", and has been named as one of the "Top 100 Values". The course resembles the Scottish highlands with its rolling-prairie links. As you drive from Heritage Hills' elevated tees to its elevated greens, you'll encounter plenty of challenging hazards with bunkers, sand traps, hills, bluffs, lakes and ponds.
 

6000 Club House Drive   308-345-5032

 

Broken Tee Par 3 Golf Course

Southwest Nebraska's newest course located along the beautiful Kelly Creek walking trail. Broken Tee Par 3 is an 18-hole family oriented course where length takes a back seat to accuracy and golfers of any skill level should feel right at home.

 

9 holes $7.00 / 18 holes $11.00
Pull Carts $2.00
Path Fee - Your Cart $4.00 / Rent Cart - 18 holes $12.00

905 E. 7th Street

308-345-8820

Motorized Carts Only Seniors/Handicapped

Doyle Site

Doyle is one of the finest examples of Woodland culture in the Republican River valley of southwest Nebraska and northwest Kansas. Work at the site uncovered a superb example of a Woodland house floor. Artifacts, particularly pottery vessels, attribute the occupation to the Keith Phase (A.D. 500-1000), the only known Woodland culture in southwest Nebraska. Radiocarbon dates suggest two separate occupations, the first about A.D. 50 and another about A.D. 550-600. These dates offer preliminary evidence of Woodland culture emerging in the Republican basin five centuries earlier than previously thought. The Doyle Site is listed on the National Historic Register.
 

 

McCook Army Air Base

McCook Army Air Base, activated April 1, 1943, was one of 11 Army Air Force training bases in Nebraska during World War II. Some 15,000 servicemen and 500 civilians were stationed here. The 2,100 acre base included three 150 by 7,500-foot concrete runways, five hangars, and barracks for 5,000 men. The base closed December 31, 1945.
Seven miles north of McCook on Highway 83

 

McCook Carnegie Library

McCook Carnegie Library

The McCook Library, listed on the National Historic Register, is an example of the Spanish Colonial Revival style, designed by architect William A. Marean of Denver, Colorado. Marean designed numerous turn-of-the-century buildings of prominence in Denver and the surrounding area, but the library building in McCook is the only structure in Nebraska known to have been designed by him. Property for a building site was donated by a local firm, and Andrew Carnegie provided construction funds in December of 1905. The library was dedicated on February 17, 1908.
 

423 Norris Avenue

 

McCook Community College

McCook Community College, Nebraska's oldest two-year college, occupies an attractive eight-building campus in the northeast residential area in McCook. Opened in September of 1926, the college offers more than 20 academic and pre-professional transfer programs plus numerous vocational programs for the residents of Southwest Nebraska.
308-345-6303

 

Frank Lloyd Wright's Sutton House

Frank Lloyd Wright's Sutton House

One of America's most influential and imaginative architects, Frank Lloyd Wright, spent almost 70 years creating a striking variety of architectural forms. 602 Norris Avenue is one of the few homes west of the Mississippi River designed by this internationally famous man. The Sutton House is an example of Wright's prairie style, in which he blended the structure with it's natural surroundings. The house was designed in 1905-7 and was completed in 1908.

The two-story frame and stucco Prairie style house was built for Mr. and Mrs. Harvey P. Sutton. Sutton owned a jewelry store in McCook, was active in community affairs, and served as director of the C.B.&Q. Railroad Concert Band, known throughout the state. The Sutton House is listed on the National Historic Register.
Norris Avenue and West F Street.  Private Residence

 

Senator George W. Norris Home

Senator George W. Norris Home

Built in 1886, the Senator George W. Norris Home is both a state and national historic site focused on the history and vision of Senator George Norris (1861-1944). The Home is listed on the National Historic Register.

Norris was one of the great independent politicians of American public life in the early 1900s. The establishment of Nebraska's unicameral legislature (the only one-house legislature in the U.S.), and landmark legislation such as the Rural Electrification Act and the Tennessee Valley Authority, were chiefly the result of his efforts. He represented Nebraska for forty years in the U.S. Congress, as a representative (1903-13) and as a senator (1913-43).

The house was built in 1886 and purchased by District Judge George W. Norris and his wife, Pluma, on Nov. 29, 1899. Pluma died in 1901 following the birth of their third daughter and Norris married Ella Leonard in 1903. Shortly after the turn of the century, Norris remodeled the house and added indoor plumbing. By 1910, electric lights and a furnace were in use.

Senator Norris completed major remodeling in 1931, reportedly as his own private relief project during the Depression. The double garage was also built in 1931.

The steep tiled roof, stucco exterior and half-timber trim greatly changed the outside appearance. The brick fireplace and sunroom were added and the roof raised a half-story. A wider staircase was added in the new entryway and the previous narrow stairway became the pantry between the kitchen and study. There were now three large bedrooms upstairs, each with a full-sized bathroom.

The home has been magnificently preserved along with the furnishings and appliances that were used when the home was occupied by the Senator and his wife. As you walk into the home, one of the first things you will notice is the beautiful interior woodwork.

A proud portrait of the Senator is mounted above the fireplace in a living room full of antique furniture and books. The study features a wooden desk with the Senator's spectacles and writing instruments laying out as if he was just sitting there. A fabulous 1937 black Buick with a straight-8 engine and suicide doors is still parked in the garage.
 

 

Prisoner-of-War Camp - German P.O.W. camp built in 1943.
Located one mile north of Indianola

Pawnee Woman's Grave
Located in the Indianola City Park on Highway 6 & 34

Mallalieu University - Rev. Allen Bartley founded the town of Bartley in June of 1886, as the site of this university. By the summer of 1886, 27 buildings had been constructed in the new town for Mallalieu University, named for the founding bishop. Due to economic conditions, the university was forced to close but the town continued on.

Located in the Bartley Town Park on Highway 6 & 34

First Homestead Red Willow County Marker

The Round Sale Barn
Located in Bartley

Copper Kettle Monument - a Nebraska State Historical Marker

Located in Norris Park

Nelson Buck Survey Party Massacre Marker

Bohemian Families' Marker

Blue Star Memorial Marker - a memorial for service personnel.
 

   

 

 

 

CEDAR INN 4-LESS |1300 East C Street |McCook, Nebraska 69001

Phone:  308-345-7091 - Toll Free 800-352-4489 | Email: info@cedarinn4less.com | www.cedarinn4less.com

 

 

Website design by Great Plains Computer Services